Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Soil Prep for the Urban Gardener
Saturday, September 22, 2012 from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM (PDT)
Palo Alto, CA
Raised beds or plant directly in your soil? Learn about bed preparation options for the urban gardener and the many things to consider for higher crop yields and soil fertility. We will look at soil reports, soil amendments, discuss cost and resource uses in establishing growing areas, and concludes with why using your native soil and double-digging is the most efficient, cost-effective solution. In well-prepared beds, plants will grow better and need less water, and weeds will come out easily. Our class will include a hands-on demonstration of double-digging at the Common Ground Garden. Taught by Robin Mankey who works to connect people with the earth through growing food and through her local company, Take Root. She helps get home gardens going and keeps them ﬂourishing. She is co-author of Ecology Action’s Booklet 34 – Food for the Future Now.
When & Where
Common Ground Garden Supply and Education Center
Creating Abundance in Community
- hands-on classes and events in organic gardening and sustainable lifestyles
- seeds and plant starts - hundreds of edible, medicinal, native and ornamental varieties
- organic composts, fertilizers and mulches - a broad selection
- tools and natural disease and pest control products - the highest quality
- books, magazines, cards, and gift items
- volunteer opportunities and new friends.